Sunday, September 9, 2012

The J&B 1/76 Scale M113


Next up are the M113s, three of them.  Again, just as with the Centurion, chose the J&B model because I already had the models sitting in my closet.  These are actually quite handy little models and with a little bit of work, come out very nice. 
 
 
 
Most of the pictures on the web show the IDF M113s with enough differences to set them apart, visually, from other armies and time periods.  To start with the IDF installed a storage rack or bin on the sides of the vehicle. 
 
 
 
From the pictures of them in the field during the 1982 war, they had just about anything in them; fuel cans, canvas, field packs, tools ect.  The J&B kit is an ACAV during the Vietnam War and as such, does not include these racks so I made them from some extra parts to a 1/35 scale Type 69-II Iraqi tank of all places.  I cut a small piece of styrene, bent up the ends, turned them on their side and attached it to the vehicle.  This formed the base of the rack, adding the face after the base had dried.  Next I got rid of the ACAV Turret and M60 LMGs and replaced the M2 with a 20mm Liberation 50Cal HMG. 
 
 
I Added stowage, a driver figure from Platoon 20 IDF range and an extra 20mm Elhiem IDF Infantryman in the open troop hatch.  The last bit was the exhaust, which runs off the top deck and down the right side of the vehicle.  I just cut a section of pewter tubing that was sitting in my spare parts box and voila, a new exhaust system. 
 
 
 
Overall, I am pleased with the final product and will start painting the second one in the next few days.
 

 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, do you have the spare acav turrets? I need four!

    Neil"at"troop-of-shewe.co.uk

    ReplyDelete