Monday, February 20, 2012

Reasoning

Just so happens that, by chance, I came across some really good resources for scenarios.  As Squad Leader by Avalon Hill was one of the first wargames that my brother and I played, I still find the scenarios as good material for translation into miniature games.  One night not too long ago I found a two part scenario pack that covered the First Gulf War published by Bill Wilder on ebay.  These packs covered just about every aspect of the war with all the partipants having at least one scenario devoted to them. Of the 24 total the Desert Rats featured in three of them.  The scenarios were large for 20mm so I modified them just a little to fit on a 4x8 board and not look to out of proportion.  This modification took the form of a reduction of the forces called for on the card but not so much as to unbalance them.  I will go into a little more detail on the scenarios later but suffice it to say they look very promising and should make for good miniature games.  I am deliberately using these scenario cards because of a reoccuring problem.  The ability or maybe the lack thereof or more directly, the loss of control.  Almost every game genre, era or period that we choose, always seems to grow beyond our ability to contain it.  See a cool model or figures and before you know another unit has been added.  The the end result being a game period, era or whatever label it has becomes unplayble due to its size.   I'm determined to build only the forces called for on the cards and nothing more.  Just enough stuff to play these scenarios and nothing more. This will please my patient and understanding wife but will be a chore to actually accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment